Square 1. Part of a cistern (L119; diam. c. 5 m, exposed depth 3.2 m; Fig. 2), hewn in hard clay and lined with soft limestone bonded with gray cement (W1; width 0.6 m), was revealed. The lining in the cistern was coated with a thick layer of plaster (thickness 4 cm) that was applied to potsherds. The plaster was only preserved at the bottom part of the cistern. The upper part of the installation had collapsed. Based on the stones in the lining of the cistern’s upper part, it seems that the ceiling of the cistern was curved. The potsherds in the cistern included glazed bowls (Fig. 3:1, 2), buff-ware bowls (Fig. 3: 3, 4), a Gaza jar (Fig. 3:10) and jugs (Fig. 3:14–16).
Square 2. A circular installation (L100, L112; diam. 0.8 m; Fig. 4) that was built of a single course of limestone was exposed. A deep bowl (Fig. 3: 8) was placed upside down in a niche (depth 0.35 m) hewn on the inside of the installation. Layers of ash in different shades of gray had accumulated inside the installation, indicating it was used as a hearth.
Square 3. The outline of a circular installation (L102) that was built of a single course of limestone was exposed. It is possible that here too the stones delimited a hearth.
Square 4. A round surface (L103, L109; diam. 1.25 m, thickness 0.6 m; Fig. 5), built of a pile of limestone and mortar, was exposed. Two jar fragments (Fig. 3:11, 12) were discovered between the stones.
Square 5. Two rectangular cesspits (L125, L126; preserved depth 0.65 m; Fig. 6), hewn in the hard clay and lined with limestone, were exposed. The western side of Cesspit 126 was distorted – a known phenomenon at Ramla, which was probably a result of the earthquakes that struck the city in the eleventh century CE. Similar and other cesspits are very common to Ramla in the Early Islamic period.
Square 6. The square had been disturbed when the road located to its north was paved. Remains of a floor, which continued the one uncovered in Square 7, were exposed (L120; below).
Squares 7, 8. Four walls of buildings (W2–W4, W7; Fig. 7), preserved to a maximum of 0.85 m high, were exposed. Wall 3 was probably the continuation of W2 and both were abutted by an earthen floor (L117, L120). Wall 4 formed a corner with Wall 7, whichwas parallel to W3 and the space between them could have been part of a room or a corridor of a building that extended beyond the excavation limits. The potsherds discovered above and below Floor 120 included bowls (Fig. 3 5–7), a cooking pot lid (Fig. 3:9), a jar (Fig. 3:13) and jugs (Fig. 3:17–22). Among the special finds was an ivory bead (Figs. 3:23; 8) decorated with incised circles, and a polyhedral weight (14.5 grams; Fig. 9), each of whose sides is decorated with a ‘bird’s eye’ pattern, composed of a center dot surrounded by two circles.
Square 9. The square was damaged prior to the excavation when a nearby road was paved.Two parallel walls (W5, W6; Fig. 10), which were probably part of a building that extended beyond the boundaries of the excavation, were revealed.
The exposed remains of the buildings and installations are located on the fringes of the city of Ramla, near agricultural plots.Buildings located next to farmland were exposed in other excavations in the eastern part of the city (HA-ESI 121).The buildings ceased to be used during the eleventh century CE, probably due to the earthquakes that struck the region in 1033 and 1068 CE.