During March 2011, an archaeological survey was conducted at Mishor Rotem, in an area where a solar farm is slated to be constructed (License No. S-260/2011, map ref. 20874–955/54824–953). The survey, on behalf of the Israel Antiquities Authority, was performed by F. Sonntag and Y. Baumgarten, with the assistance of S. Gal (data processing and computerization) and N.S. Paran (writing the report).
The survey area is bounded on the north by Road 25, on the east by the fence of the Negev Nuclear Research Center, on the south by the Rotem Industrial Park and on the west by Road 206.
The survey region is characterized by sandy plains, severed by shallow wadi channels. The flora is scant and mostly includes prairie vegetation, such as broom, daphne and a few acacia trees that are concentrated in the wadi channels.
Ten sites were surveyed:
1. A scatter of flint tools (map ref. 208979/548510) in a 10×10 m area.
2. A scatter of flint tools (map ref. 208942/548674) on a small spur, across an area of c. 10×10 m.
3. A Mandatory road (map ref. 208910/549064) comprising two sections for a total length of c. 300 m. The edges of the road are built of medium-sized curbstones and a foundation of small stones in-between. The road led from Be’er Sheva‘ to Ma‘ale ‘Aqrabim and the ‘Arava. Other segments of the road were documented at Mishor Yamin (HA-ESI 121). The distances were indicated on sign posts standing along the shoulder of the road.
4. Dam (map ref. 208885/549253). A wall (length c. 30 m) built of one course of limestone across a shallow streambed, in a northeast-southwest direction.
5. Dam (map ref. 208870/549288) c. 15 m east of Site 4, along the streambed. The dam (length c. 15 m) is built of one course of limestone and is aligned northeast-southwest.
6. A scatter of large stones (map ref. 208965/549411) in a 10×10 m area, without any potsherds or flint artifacts.
7. A flint tool scatter (map ref. 209248/549436) across an area of c. 50×50 m.
8. Architectural remains (map ref. 209341/549263). Two stone buildings (dimensions of one: 3×5 m, the other is unclear). A scatter of flint tools was documented around the buildings in an area of c. 20×20 m.
9. A scatter of flint tools (map ref. 209135/549128) across an area of c. 20×20 m. An awl and drill were found among them. There are probably also wall remains.
10. A scatter of flint tools (map ref. 209075/548895) across an area of c. 20×20 m, including four drills.