In the excavation, a water supply system comprising a large well connected to a pair of vaulted cisterns or pools was exposed (Figs. 2, 3). The system was built into the alluvial soil of the Nahal Yarmut riverbed, and it was dated to the late Ottoman period based on its architectural features, the pottery and the numismatic finds. High groundwater impeded the excavation and the documentation of the site.
Eight stone courses of the well were exposed (W103, c. 3 m deep; L109, 3.7 m diam.; Fig. 4). Next to the well, a couple of underground pools were built on an east–west axis (Pools 104 and 125; 2.0 × 3.7 m, 1.75 × 4.90 m respectively; 2.2 m deep; Figs. 5–8). A channel (L121; Figs. 4: Sections 1–1, 2–2, Fig. 9) led from the well into Pool 104. Between the pools, a short open channel (L128; 0.4 × 0.9 m, 0.7 m high) delimited by two low walls (W115, W118), was built on top of a wide wall (W122; 1.5 m wide; Fig. 4: Section 3–3). Another channel (L129; 0.3 × 1.5 m, 0.2 m high) ran through the bottom course of W122. Between the two pools, on either side of Channel 128, there were two small stone-built units (L123, L124) that may have served for storage. The long walls of the two pools (W110, W113, W119, W120; see Fig. 7) were built of two rows of dressed stones enclosing a thick stone core. In Pool 104, the vaulted roof covered with a layer of debesh and plaster (L112; Fig. 10) was extant; a layer of stones and debris uncovered in Pool 125 was probably the debris of the collapsed vault. Evidence of plaster was found in several places inside the pools.
The few potsherds retrieved, mainly from the surface level, included a bowl (Fig. 11:1), jars (Fig. 11:2, 3) and ibrik jugs (Fig. 11:4, 5) dating from the late Ottoman period (eighteenth–nineteenth centuries CE).
The upper layer of soil inside the well (L109) yielded two coins and a metal ornament in the form of a coin: a coin of Constantine II (355–361 CE; IAA 164848); an imitation of a silver kurush minted in Constantinople during the rule of Sultan Abdülaziz (1861–1875; IAA 923712); and a folded replica of a coin minted during the reign of King George V (1911–1936; IAA 164849).
The water supply system was probably used by farmers from one of the nearby villages, such as Beit Jimal or Kh. Jiljil, as well as by travelers along the main road between Bet Guvrin and Emmaus. The concentration of numerous wells in a relatively small attests to the readily accessible presence of high-level groundwater. The Nahal Yarmut riverbed cuts into Taqiye geological formation that is impermeable to water and therefore provides an ideal location for digging wells. The finds from the excavation augment the data accumulated from previous excavations, complementing our understanding of the agriculture, settlement and ancient road that existed in this area throughout the ages.