During September–October 1998 a development survey was conducted along Highway 38, between Sha‘ar Ha-Gāy and ‘Emeq Ha-Ela (License No. G-136/1998*; map ref. NIG 1945–520/6215–355; OIG 1445–520/1215–355). The survey, on behalf of the Antiquities Authority and financed by the Public Works department, was directed by G. Solimany and D. Weiss, assisted by L. Barda (GPS).
Approximately twenty sites were surveyed in a 200 m wide strip, including three winepresses, two water cisterns, two watchman’s huts, two caves, two rock-hewn tombs and one limekiln. The surveyed area included several known archaeological sites:
Kh. er-Rujum (map ref. NIG 19922/62972; OIG 14922/12972). A large ruin, dating to the Early Bronze Age.
‘Ein Shams (map ref. NIG 19803/62781; OIG 14803/12781). The southeastern part of Tel Bet Shemesh that includes rock-hewn caves.
Tel Bet Shemesh (map ref. NIG 19753/61288; OIG 14753/11288). The western area at the foot of the tell was surveyed; three rock-hewn tombs that were part of a burial field, which mostly extended beyond the survey area, were recorded.
Giv‘at Savyon (map ref. NIG 1975/6276; OIG 1475/1276). A site from the Chalcolithic period and the Early Bronze Age.
‘Enot Dekalim (Kh. el-Jiljil; map ref. NIG 19709/62717; OIG 14709/12717). A large ruin that included a spring house, caves, water cisterns and ceramic finds from the Byzantine and Early Islamic periods (ESI 20:109*–110*).
‘Enot Dekalim South (map ref. NIG 1969/6262; OIG 1469/1262). Wall remains of a spring house and a cluster of potsherds from the Roman and Byzantine periods.
Kh. Jannaba et-Tahta (map ref. NIG 1949/6217; OIG 1449/1217). A large ruin, including remains of buildings, burial caves, water cisterns and ceramic finds from the Roman and Byzantine periods (ESI 16:114–117).