During August 2007 an archaeological survey was conducted in the Mētar Forest (Permit No. A-5236; map ref. 1934–56/5828–41), prior to preparing the ground for forestation. The survey, undertaken on behalf of the Israel Antiquities Authority and underwritten by the Jewish National Fund, was performed by E. Aladjem and A. Freiberg, with the assistance of S. Gal (GPS).
The landscape of the surveyed area, northwest of Mētar and east of Nahal Hevron (Highway 60), is characterized by hills separated by extensive areas of leveled ground. Cisterns and agricultural installations were previously documented in the region (Fig. 1).
Five sites (1–5) were documented:
1. Map ref. 193949/583416. A rock-hewn cistern (0.5×0.5 m), with a built hexagon-shaped opening.
2. Map ref. 193883/583586. A winepress hewn in a bedrock surface, consisting of a square treading floor (1×1 m, depth 0.1 m) and a square collecting vat (0.4×0.4 m, depth 0.5 m), connected by a channel.
3. Map ref. 193853/583322. A natural cave with no signs of occupation.
4. Map ref. 193843/583168. A natural cave with no signs of occupation.
5. Map ref. 193778/583128. A rock-hewn cistern with a square opening (0.4×0.4 m) and built of dressed stones to a depth of three courses (0.5 m). A mound is built west of the cistern for collecting run-off.