During June 2010, an archaeological survey was conducted along two sections of Nahal Kelekh (License No. S-195/2010; map ref. 1860–90/5885–944), prior to reforestation. The survey, undertaken on behalf of the Israel Antiquities Authority and underwritten by the Jewish National Fund, was performed by N.S. Paran, with the assistance of S. Gal (GPS).
The survey was carried out in the northwestern part Biqe‘at Yaval, south and southwest of the settlement Shomeriyya. The survey region is in the southern Judean Shephelah and it is characterized by gentle chalk hills with wadi channels between them, where clay alluvium has accumulated.
The survey was performed in two strips along Nahal Kelekh, and did not include the hills where most of the region’s sites are located.
No sites were found at all along the southern section of Nahal Kelekh; whereas two adjacent sites were discovered in the northern section:
1. A built compound (map ref. 186892/593104; 50 × 50 m) on the confluence of Nahal Kelekh and Nahal Yaval. The compound is elevated c. 1 m above the surrounding area and the tops of stone walls and pottery from the Roman–Byzantine periods are visible on the ground.
2. Be’er Qenas (map ref. 186917/593046) on the bank of Nahal Kelekh, c. 100 m south of the confluence of Nahal Kelekh and Nahal Yaval. The well is built of stone (depth c. 15 m) and covered with an iron grate that was installed by the IDF.
The survey area was mostly destroyed as a result of tree planting that had been done in the past. In places where surface is still natural, the ground is alluvial and was mostly used for agriculture in previous periods; resulting in the paucity of sites.