(3.7 × 4.2 m; Figs. 3, 4). Part of this installation was built and part of it was hewn in the soft limestone bedrock. The walls (W1–W4; preserved height 1.0–2.8 m) were built of various size fieldstones. The inner face of the walls consisted of a single row of ashlar stones. A vertical shaft (0.5 × 0.7 m, preserved height 2.8 m) was built in the cistern’s southeastern corner. The cistern was coated with white lime plaster, to which gray cement was applied. The northwestern corner of the cistern was built on top of the eastern side of Cave A’s courtyard. Based on the construction style and the composition of the plaster it seems that the cistern was installed in the Ottoman period and served the residents of the village of esh-Sheikh Bader. A coin, dating to the reign of Mahmud II (1808–1839) and discovered north of the cistern (L104), was also ascribed to this period.
Cave A was discovered in a poor state of preservation; all that survived of it was a courtyard (2.0 × 2.5 m) and part of the opening (Fig. 5). Only two sides of the courtyard that were hewn in the soft limestone bedrock remained. The eastern side was exposed below W4 of the water cistern. An opening decorated with a stepped façade (width 0.5 m, height 0.5 m, depth 0.3 m) was hewn in the northern side. The rolling stone (0.6 × 1.0 m) was found lying alongside the opening.
The ceramic finds, dating to the Early Roman period (first century BCE–first century CE), included a bowl (Fig. 6:1), cooking pots (Fig. 6:2–5), a lid (Fig. 6:6), a jar (Fig. 6:7), a jug (Fig. 6:8), a juglet (Fig. 6:9) and a stand (Fig. 6:10).
Cave B was hewn in the western part of a bedrock outcrop for a distance of 8 m. The opening, whose upper part was visible, faced west and was sealed with a rolling stone. The cave was neither excavated nor documented.
Cave C had a square, vertical, bedrock-hewn shaft (0.8 × 0.9 m; Figs. 7, 8), which descended to an entrance (width 0.8 m) that led to a burial chamber. Three arcosolia, which included four troughs (I–IV; Fig. 9), two of them (II, III) in the western arcosolium, were each hewn in the three walls of the burial chamber (1.4 × 2.5 m, height 1 m). The cave was found plundered and devoid of artifacts.
Cave D was partly preserved and some of the burial chamber remains (1.9 × 2.5 m; Fig. 10) included two rock-hewn kokhim (0.7 × 1.8 m) in the southern and western sides. The cave had been looted and was devoid of finds. Its plan is characteristic of Jewish burial caves that were common to the Second Temple period.
Cave E (Fig. 10) was survived only by a corner of the burial chamber and it was impossible to evaluate its plan. The cave was found plundered and devoid of finds.