A trial excavation was conducted in August 2001 on Ha-Zorea‘ Street in Kefar Shemaryahu (Permit No. A-3474*; map ref. NIG 1833/6774; OIG 1333/1774), prior to the construction of a new building. The excavation, on behalf of the Antiquities Authority and financed by Mrs. R. Froumer, was directed by A. Dagot, assisted by V. Essman (surveying), D. Syon (numismatics) and E. Yannai.
A segment (length 18 m) of a large kurkar-stone quarry, which seems to extend north and south beyond the limits of the excavation area, was discovered. The quarry is located on the western side of the kurkar ridge, at an elevation of 27.5 m above sea level. It was quarried to a depth of 2 m. The remains include recesses in the bedrock where stones were extracted, as well as partially hewn stones (average dimensions 0.35 × 0.35 × 0.50 m). A small quantity of potsherds, dating to the Byzantine and Early Islamic periods, a glass vessel fragment and a Ptolemaic (?) coin, dating to the second century BCE (?; IAA No. 102845), were found.