During September 2011, a salvage excavation was conducted at the French Children’s Garden in Jerusalem (Permit No. A-6293; map ref. 220680–90/631708–16; Fig. 1), after ancient remains were damaged during development work. The excavation, undertaken on behalf of the Israel Antiquities Authority and underwritten by the Moriya Company, was directed by N. German, with the assistance of N. Nehama (administration), A. Hajian (surveying and drafting) and A. Peretz (field photography).
A short section of a drainage channel (11× m) was exposed; built of small fieldstones without mortar it was covered with large stone slabs (length 1.2 m, width 0.25 m, average height 0.2 m; Figs. 2–4). The continuation of the channel was visible in the southwestern section of the excavation. That segment of the channel curved and continued to the southwest, toward a building c. 20 m distance from the excavation area. Several modern potsherds, metallic objects that were mostly nails, and five coins were discovered in the excavation. Three of the coins were identified; one, probably discovered in the foundation of the channel, dates to the time of the British Mandate (1941) and the other two are modern Israeli coins. It seems that the channel was built during the British Mandate era.