A salvage excavation was conducted in February 2002 on Dov Gruner Street in ‘Akko (Permit No. A-3593*; map ref. NIG 2064–89/7580–604; OIG 1564–89/2580–604), in the wake of installing a drainage pipe. The excavation, on behalf of the Antiquities Authority and funded by the ‘Akko municipality, was directed by L. Porat, assisted by E. Stern (photography) and H. Tahan (drafting).
The excavation area (3.0 × 4.5 m) is located c. 600 m north of the old city walls and c. 120 m from the beach, close to the Hellenistic cemetery, excavated by R. Lieberman-Wender, A. Thatcher and A. Moqari (‘Atiqot 37:169–173 [Hebrew; English summary, p. 178*]). Eighteen ballista stones of different sizes (diam. 20–42 cm) were discovered in the excavation, scattered across a uniform level within a layer of dark mud (Fig. 1). Fifty-two additional stones were exposed during antiquity inspections conducted around the excavation area. The stones probably remained at their place following the siege on the city during the Crusader-period wars.