af Street is located on a kurkar
ridge in the Maronite neighborhood, c. 0.5 km south of Tel Yafo, at the northern end of the ʽAjami quarter. The neighborhood was founded by Maronite Christians, who were among the first to leave the walled city of Yafo at the end of the nineteenth century CE. The Maronites built a well-tended neighborhood with narrow streets and houses constructed in a traditional or classical style, and churches, monasteries and cemeteries for serving the various Christian communities in Yafo were built around them (LeVine 2005
:173; Recht 2016
). A layer of soil containing pottery sherds from the Hellenistic period and remains of a residential building from the late Ottoman period and from the early days of the British Mandate were exposed in an excavation that was previously conducted along the neighborhood’s southern boundary. In addition, a scant amount of sherds from the Late Roman, Byzantine, Early Islamic and Crusader periods were found (Jakoel and Haddad 2015). R
emains of residential structures from the late Ottoman period were revealed in an excavation carried out
um Nardi and Adam Baruch Streets, east of
af Street (A-7752). The following antiquities were uncovered in an excavation conducted on Yehuda Ha-Yammit Street, north of Ha-Shah
af Street: remains of a cemetery from the Persian and Hellenistic periods, remains of a moat from the Crusader period, wells from the late Ottoman period and a roadbed from the time of the British Mandate (Haddad 2011).
Location 1 (2 Ha-Shahaf Street). A section of a wall (W1; length 2.7 m, preserved height 0.55 m; Fig. 2) built of medium-sized kurkar fieldstones along a southeast–northwest axis was exposed below a modern asphalt road, c. 0.3 m from the southern sidewalk. A plaster foundation, possibly a remnant of a floor, abutted the wall on the north. Finds included pottery sherds, belonging mainly to locally produced jars, a fragment of a bowl imported from Çanakkale (Fig. 3), a small piece of marble and Marseilles roof tiles from the late Ottoman period and the beginning of the British Mandate (nineteenth-early twentieth centuries CE).
Location 2 (7 Ha-Shahaf Street). Two parallel walls (W2, W3; 0.95 m below street level; 1.5 m southeast of the northwestern facade of the building; Fig. 4) were exposed below the modern asphalt road that had been paved over the soling road from the time of the British Mandate. The walls were built of kurkar fieldstones set on a sand foundation and were oriented in a northeast–southwest direction. The southeastern face of W2 was revealed (exposed length 0.7 m, preserved height 0.6 m). Wall 3 (width 0.3 m, preserved height 0.7 m) was situated 0.7 m northeast of W2. Between the walls was an active sewer pipe made of glazed reddish-brown terra-cotta sections dating from the time of the British Mandate. The finds from between the two walls included a Yirmi Paralik coin of the Ottoman sultan Abd al-ʽAziz (1861–1876 CE), minted in Constantinople, fragments of pottery and porcelain vessels, and Marseilles roof tiles from the late Ottoman period and the early days of the British Mandate (nineteenth-beginning of the twentieth century CE).
Ha-Shahaf Street was first laid out at the end of the Ottoman period. Under the British Mandate, a sewage infrastructure was installed and a soling road was paved. Thus, the remains of the walls and the plaster foundation seem to predate the paving of the road. The limited exposure of the walls makes it impossible to assess their function. In all likelihood, the small finds that were discovered between and near the walls date the remains to the late Ottoman period. This information is important since to date no other archaeological dig has been conducted on Ha-Shahaf Street.