Excavations and Surveys in Israel
ISSN 1565 - 5334
Guide to Contributors
List Of Volumes
Volume 118 Year 2006
iyyon, Map Survey
During 2000 c. 4 sq km were surveyed in the middle and western part of the Rishon Le-
iyyon map (License No. G-35/2000). The survey, conducted within the framework of a study survey of
, in cooperation with the Antiquities Authority, was directed by A. Gorzalczany, with the participation of R. Greenberg and D. Gersht.
New ancient sites were not identified. An area of c. 1 sq km was surveyed around Giv‘at Danny. Finds were discerned within a maximum radius of 300 m from the center of the site, including fragments of pottery vessels that occurred in a density of 2–3 sherds per sq m. Remains dating to the Ottoman period, which apparently originated from the village of es-Safiriya, were surveyed in the area adjacent to the Kefar
abad Junction. A few pottery fragments and many modern remains were found on a hill (Spot Height 74; map ref. NIG
1344/1536). Flakes and flint implements from the Middle and Late Paleolithic periods were gathered over a distance of c. 100 m in an ancient wadi channel, exposed as a result of agricultural activity, along the southwestern fringes of the hill. On the alluvial soil in the fields of Moshav Nir
evi, a dense scatter of finds from the Byzantine period, which may be attributed to activities that occurred in the outskirts of the city of
, was surveyed.
Print Without Figures
Print With Figures