During November 2004 a trial excavation was conducted next to the approach road leading to the Meir Shefeya Youth Village (Permit No. A-4296*; map ref. NIG 1975–6/72150–65; OIG 1475–6/22150–65) after ancient remains were damaged while laying foundations for a retaining wall. The excavation, on behalf of the Antiquities Authority and financed by the Hof Karmel Regional Council, was directed by E. Oren, assisted by A. Hajian (surveying).
Remains of a limekiln and an industrial mosaic floor, which were severely damaged during the installation of modern infrastructures, were excavated.
The circular limekiln was survived by its combustion chamber (height c. 0.35 m, length c. 1.5 m). It seems the combustion chamber was bedrock hewn and partly built of large stones. The layer of ash that remained on the bedrock floor indicated the kiln’s diameter was c. 2.5 m.
A meager section of an industrial floor (1.12 × 1.50 m), laying on a bedding of small stones, was discovered c. 1.5 m south of the limekiln. A row of stones delimited the mosaic on its northern and eastern sides; the northern row separated the wall of the limekiln from the bedrock. It seems the mosaic belonged to an installation that was connected to the kiln, possibly a work surface. It may have predated the kiln and was utilized by its builders later on.
The severe damage to the two installations made it difficult to date them and clarify the relationship between them. The scant ceramic finds consisted mostly of ribbed fragments from the Byzantine period, to which the installations were dated.
A hewn cave west of the kiln and the other rock-hewn installations suggest that this area was used for industry and burial.