The excavation exposed a structure from the 1930s. The boulevard on which the structure stood, known today as Jerusalem Boulevard, was constructed in 1915 by Hassan Beq, the Ottoman governor of Yafo. It was first named Jamal Pasha Boulevard, after the governor of the district that included Yafo. Under the British Mandate, it was renamed King George Boulevard, after George V, king of Great Britain. An aerial photograph of Yafo from 1917 (Kedar 1994:96) and a British map of the city from the same year (Kedar 1994:99) depict the boulevard amidst citrus orchards in the east of Yafo. Until the 1930s, the boulevard marked the eastern edge of the city, with orchards to its east and neighborhoods to its west. The first Arab neighborhood established outside the city walls, extending on both sides of the boulevard, was en-Nuzzha (The Promenade) neighborhood. In 1933, a mosque was established in the neighborhood; the excavation was conducted adjacent to it to the north. In 1949, the boulevard was once again renamed to Jerusalem Boulevard, reflecting its role as the road leading to Jerusalem. Past excavations in the northern part of the boulevard revealed remains from the Hellenistic, Byzantine and Ottoman periods (Jakoel 2011a; 2011b).
 
The excavation comprised nine squares, revealing the foundations of a structure with several rooms (Figs. 1, 2). The walls were constructed of kurkar stones bonded with red hamra, a construction practice characteristic of both the Ottoman and British Mandate periods. The foundations were set into dark brown hamra soil. No floors were exposed, but two construction phases were identified, both dating from the twentieth century CE. Three rooms were attributed to the early phase: one in the northeast (L120) and two adjacent rooms in the south (L121, L122). An earth fill, devoid of walls or floors, was found between the northern and southern rooms. Due to later damage, some of the walls of the rooms were not preserved, and part of Room 120 extends beyond the borders of the excavation area. A wall in the northern part of the excavation (W107) is possibly part of an additional room. A bronze needle (Fig. 3) was found in Room 120. A 2 mil coin dated to 1945 was found on the eastern side of Room 122, the largest of the rooms. In the later phase, a north–south wall (W112; Fig. 4) was built between Room 120 and the two southern rooms, dividing the space into two units.
Potsherds collected from the hamra soil into which the foundations of the structure were set included a Hellenistic jug (Fig. 5:1); a CRS bowl (Fig. 5:2) and two bag-shaped jars (Fig. 5:3, 4) from the Byzantine period; a bowl (Fig. 5:5) and a jar (Fig. 5:6) from the Early Islamic period; and a jar (Fig. 5:7) and two jugs (Fig. 5:8, 9) from the Ottoman period. The pottery vessels indicate activity at the site during these periods.