In June 2017, a trial excavation was conducted at 3 El Al Street in Herzliyya (Permit No. A-8024; map ref. 1826/6748; Fig. 1), prior to the laying of a sewage line. The excavation, undertaken on behalf of the Israel Antiquities Authority, was directed by V. Shustin, with the assistance of Y. Amrani and E. Bachar (administration), M. Kahan (surveying and drafting), A. Peretz (field photography) and P. Gendelman (scientific consultation), as well as D. Ben-Ami, M. Ajami and D. Barkan of the IAA Central District.
A single excavation square was opened (Fig. 2), and a building-stone quarry was uncovered (max. quarrying depth 1 m; Fig. 3) that contained several quarrying steps, stone-quarrying marks and severance channels. The quarry’s dimensions are not known. The quarry was overlain by a soil fill (L104; Fig. 4) that was probably put there to level the area when the quarry was no longer used. Fill 104 yielded Late Roman and Byzantine pottery. The Late Roman pottery includes a jar (Fig. 5:1) and a jug (Fig. 5:2). The Byzantine pottery includes a casserole (Fig. 5:3), a cooking casserole (Fig. 5:4), cooking pots (Fig. 5:5–7), jars (Fig. 5:8, 9) and a Samaritan oil lamp (Fig. 5:10).
Based on the ceramic finds, the quarry was probably worked in the Roman period and fell into disuse in either the Late Roman or the Byzantine period. An excavation conducted in 2004 in the valley to the east of the current excavation uncovered part of an installation for processing liquids that was built in the Byzantine period (Rauchberger 2004; Fig. 1: A-4120).