During March 2009, a survey was conducted west of Be’er Sheva‘ (License No. S-108/2009; map ref. 1737–51/5735–45), prior to reforestation. The survey, undertaken on behalf of the Israel Antiquities Authority and underwritten by the Jewish National Fund was performed by N.S. Paran, with the assistance of S. Gal (GPS).
The Jewish National Fund had previously planted shrubbery and limans in most of the survey area, located in the Nahal Solelim collection basin. The area is characterized by gentle chalk hills and a shallow covering of loess, bounded on the west by the border of Hazerim Leisure Park and in the south by the Nahal Solelim channel, in which roads that were prepared for driving are visible. The rest of the area’s boundaries are not defined.
Four sites (1–4; Fig. 1) were discovered, all of which have buildings from the Ottoman period and potsherds around them dating to the Byzantine and Ottoman periods.
1. Map ref. 174227/574143, building (5×10 m).
2. Map ref. 174165/574053, building (6×8 m).
3. Map ref. 174236/574041, building (8×15 m).
4. Map ref. 173915/573945, building (7×10 m).