During October 2011, a salvage excavation was conducted on Ha-Yarden Street in Tiberias (Permit No. A-6319; map ref. 250798/743758), after ancient remains were discovered in an inspection prior to paving a street. The excavation, undertaken on behalf of the Israel Antiquities Authority and underwritten by the Tiberias Economic Company, was directed by M. Hartal, with the assistance of Y. Ya‘aqobi (administration), R. Mishayev (surveying and drafting) and laborers from Tiberias.
The two walls in the excavation resemble walls exposed in an excavation in the municipal park; however, there is no architectural connection between them. The width of the walls is consistent with that of a city wall, but they have shallow foundations that are unsuitable for a fortification system. The walls might have been part of a drainage system meant to protect the area from flooding. The excavation in the municipal park uncovered evidence of a flash flood that destroyed some of the neighborhood’s dwellings and left a deep channel in its wake, probably in the tenth century CE and of another flood that occurred some 100 years later. A flood also passed through Tiberias’ municipal park in 1934. The floods deposited an extremely thick layer of silt (c. 2 m) that covered the cemetery. The graves were not excavated and thus, it was impossible to date them. However, since they are so deep below the walls of the Islamic period, it seems that they should be ascribed to the Roman and Byzantine periods. The alluvium was no longer deposited after the wide walls were constructed. It seems that the drainage system from the Islamic period diverted the flood waters, possibly to a deep channel that traversed the municipal park.