In February–March 2015, a trial excavation was conducted at Horbat Peli’a (West; Tur‘an Junction; Permit No. A-7332; map ref. 235246–815/740846–1300), prior to the construction of an interchange leading to the settlement. The excavation, undertaken on behalf of the Israel Antiquities Authority and financed by Netivei Israel – the National Infrastructures Company, was directed by M. Shemer, with the assistance of Y. Ya‘aqobi and B. Zidan (administration), A. Shapiro (GPS and drafting), K. Covello-Paran (scientific guidance), E. Belashov (preparation of plans for publication) and laborers from Tiberias.
In a preliminary survey (License No. S-512/2014) of the Tur‘an Valley, flint outcrops and caves hewn in the high bedrock were identified, mainly in the northern part of the valley. The southern part of the valley, where the interchange will be constructed, is dotted with finds, probably remains of ancient construction alongside several concentrations of flint scattered on the surface. When the latter were examined in trial trenches, wall remains were identified.
Three areas (A–C; Fig. 1) were excavated. In Area A, in the east, stone clearance heaps were excavated; these turned out to be the result of modern activity. In Area C, in the west, stone clearance heaps were excavated, but could not be dated due to the absence of finds. Two squares (50 sq m) were opened in Area B, yielding remains of two agricultural walls (W203, W206; Fig. 2, 3), which were built of unworked fieldstones that were not arranged in proper courses. It seems that the stones used for construction were concentrated together, appearing as a clearance heap (Fig. 4). The construction material consisted of basalt and limestone—the two types of rock indigenous to the area. The southern part of W203 curved and turned to the west, possibly lining some sort of installation or serving as a boundary marker. Only a small section of W206, parallel to W203, was exposed. Pottery sherds dating to the Roman–Byzantine periods were gathered during the excavation, but they were insufficient for determining the date of the walls.